Waking up exhausted? Here's why and what to do about it.
In the US, we're told from a young age that we need 7+ hours of sleep a night. According to Dr. Saundra Dalton-Smith in her 2017 book, Sacred Rest: Recover Your Life, Renew Your Energy, Restore Your Sanity those 7+ hours a night are only providing one of seven kinds of rest we all need.
Sleep is physical. While important, even sleep is not always truly physical rest. That is why these other six types of rest are so critical.
- When your to do list feels never ending and you feel pulled in a million directions, you likely need mental rest. Get away from the tasks and projects.
- Are your eyes burning from all the screen time? You are likely in need of sensory rest. Turn off those devices and disconnect.
- Do you constantly solve problems? If so, you may need creative rest. While it may seem counterintuitive, the restful solution here is to get into a flow state with something that makes you feel creative joy.
- Having to hold in your emotions? If so, you need emotional rest. Therapy or another way to process your emotions may be useful.
- Feeling drained by those around you? You may need social rest. For introverts this may be solved by alone time. For everyone, it's important to connect to the people who allow you to be authentically you.
- Finally is spiritual rest. This is the type of rest in which you connect with something larger than yourself.
The next time you wake up tired, take a moment and see if you need one or more of these additional types of rest.
Check It Out On Twitter 👇👇
Come join the conversation on Twitter, it's much more fun with friends.